It is important to note that a death must be registered in the district in which it has occurred. If required we would be happy to arrange transport and to accompany you during this process.
Details Taken By Registrar.
- Date and place of death.
- Full name of deceased (maiden name if applicable).
- Date of birth.
- Place of birth.
- Occupation, or if retired the main lifetime occupation.
- Home address.
- If married, the full name and occupation of partner.
During the short meeting (approximately 20 minutes) the Registrar will take the Medical Certificate of Death from you and, if you have it in your possession, the medical card of the deceased.
To help provide the information required you may also find it useful to take with you the Birth Certificate of the deceased.
The Registrar enters all the information supplied into the register. You may then purchase as many copies of the entry as required (small fee).
You will also be given a Social Security Certificate (free of charge) to be sent to the D.S.S. with any pension books. There is a section on the reverse of this form to be completed which we will be happy to assist with.
At the end of the meeting the Registrar will hand you a green certificate which you should pass to the Funeral Director as soon as possible.
Tell us once about a death
- Tell Us Once is a completely free service
- You will be offered the service automatically, as part of your appointment for registering a death at Dewsbury and Huddersfield register offices
- You do not have to use the service
What the Tell Us Once service does
- We notify multiple local and national government agencies on your behalf
- We treat all your information securely
- It means you don't need to purchase and send copies of the death certificate to the agencies
- If you don't use the service at your appointment, the registrar will give you details of a telephone service you can use afterwards if you change your mind
Who we tell
- Driving Licence
- Blue Badge
- Attendance Allowance
- State Pension Service
- Also other Social Security and Government Agencies
After your appointment
You will be given a letter that tells you:
- your Tell Us Once reference number
- which departments we have notified on your behalf
- contact details in case of any query
Departments may contact you separately to confirm that they have received and processes your information.
Local Registrar's Offices.
Dewsbury: Dewsbury Town Hall, Wakefield Old Rd, Dewsbury WF12 8DG
Tel. 01924 324733
Huddersfield: Huddersfield Town Hall, Ramsden St, Huddersfield HD1 2TA
Tel: 01484 221030